Thursday, November 25, 2010

"God as My Witness, I Thought Turkeys Could Fly."

Once again we reach that time of year where the calendar is almost worn out, and we prepare to place ourselves into a turkey induced coma that will last until Christmas. Actually by the time this entry is finished it will be after the festivities, so hopefully the turkey doesn’t knock me out until I have a chance to actually post this....

My last post came after our Yellowstone vacation, and featured the announcement that we were pregnant. I am ecstatic to post that all is still going very well. The baby is developing with a strong heartbeat, and we are starting to get to the point where we can feel the baby moving. This morning we realized that the baby really likes hot chocolate, as it’s been doing backflips in Mrs. Nutz tummy. (I can’t vouche for this comment, I am taking Mrs. Nutz word for it.)

Unfortunately we still have not found out what we’re having, and if the child does not co-operate by our next doctor’s appointment, I fear that he or she is going to get a very stern lecture from their mother! Both of us are hoping that we’re going to have a girl, but we will be happy as can be if it turns out to be a boy as well. We’re just excited that we will be parents soon. We just want to know so that we can start getting the nursery decorated (lady bugs if it’s a girl, and pirate if it’s a boy.)

Mr. and Mrs. Munk had their little chipmunk, whom I will dub Dotty Munk. She’s now starting to smile and chatter, which has been really cute to see. The other night we had the Munk family over for a movie and it was really fun to see little Dotty looking around and, well, being a baby. It was especially fun to watch the dog and cat freak out at the baby, and Iola kept giving us a look that indicated she wanted us to make Dotty leave. They’ll just have to deal with it, because in 4 months there’s going to be a new squirrel in the house full time!

Well now that it’s Thanksgiving, that means that Christmas is just around that corner. It seems like it comes earlier each year... though that is partially to blame on the media. I was walking through a store one evening and I saw them decorating for Christmas. The sad thing is that this was in the middle of September. I shook my head as I turned and walked out of the store. With each year it seems that we collectively ignore that that there is a holiday between Halloween and Christmas... and an important one at that. Now stores are opening up for black Friday sales earlier in the Day on Thanksgiving, which really begs the question of whether or not we are turning the shopping day into a holiday on it’s own (some of the women I work with believe that it is.) I made a previous post two years ago that expresses why I would choose to steer away from such a move.

Most TV shows today will run a Christmas special, as well as a Halloween special, but there are very few that do the Turkey day. Friends was dependable, as they had one for each of their ten seasons. Charlie Brown has a classic thought-provoking film (two in fact) that honor this great day, but I don’t know of too many beyond that.

Then again, one of the best all time moments of TV history (as determined by TV Guide) was a classic episode of WKRP in Cincinatti. While their Thanksgiving tribute is rather grim... it is a day where we celebrate over the carcass of a large bird, so I guess it could be worse (though the line about bags of wet cement did make me laugh out loud. Oh the humanity!!)

This morning we got up to start watching the parade, and we opted to cook the turkey for our dinner with Mrs.Nutz family, so the house now smells like turkey. She’s just getting ready so that we can leave, and I am left alone to reflect on my blessings this year. I have much to be thankful for this year, and this is one of the best places that I can express those.

I am thankful for my beautiful wife. She means everything to me, and it’s been a wonderful 4 years together, and I look forward to a lifetime more together. I am so thankful for the little child on the way, it’s been two years coming and I am so glad that everything worked out this time.

I am thankful for my families (both of them) for being there to support Mrs. Nutz and I wherever we need it. Comedy movies always tell horror stories about in-laws, but Mrs. Nutz and I both lucked out in that department. Both of our sets of parents and siblings support us where and however they can, and for that I am eternally grateful.

I also would like to say how thankful I am to have such great friends, especially the close kinship we have with the Munks. It’s been great having them so close that we can periodically say hi, and get together and enjoy one another’s company. It’s going to be so much fun to see that in a few months we will be able to give Dotty a little playtmate.

I am also thankful for all of our extended family and friends, you all enrich our lives in your own way.

Well, I think that’s enough for right now. I have more coming, so stay tuned...

1 comment:

Nathan McDuck said...

Glad to see you back on the blogs. We are very grateful for you guys, too, and excited about the debut of your own little squirrel!

I was a little disconcerted that you didn't have a Nutz name for Iola -- aren't you worried about someone discovering your secret identity? :)